Monday, October 29, 2007

RUM CAKE
















Seeing those ingredients on a rack hanged in a small bakery - especially the MYERS RUM bottle, reminded me of my childhood time.
My father who traveled regularly (Denpasar - Jakarta area - Denpasar) very often brought us Rum Cake made by a famous bakery in Bogor - West Java.

I still remembered there are 3 level of intensity of the rum cake. Soft, medium and strong Rum Cake. My father always bought the strong one. We like it very much. You know......., the strong Rum Cake giving a slightly dizzy feeling after having 2 big cuts to a kid (read: myself!) :-D

Last week, I really missed the cake, unfortunately I could not have it anymore since I am leaving 1.5 hours flying from the place ........ oh my!

"Why not making a rhum cake myself?" the idea just popped up on the way to my office.

And............, I purchased a bottle of MYERS RUM last Friday and made a rum cake straight away that night. The result.................. what a yummy rum cake, just like what I had on my childhood time (psssssssst..................., actually it is not good for kid eating a rum cake, isn't it?"

Here it is a recipe that I got from the internet, this one works well! Originally they said the recipe was developed by BACARDI, but as a substitution to Bacardi Dark Rum, Myers is OK! I could not get Bacardi as my first choice that Friday, out of stock said by the supplier.










RECIPE:

1 cup chopped, toasted pecans or walnuts (I don't have pecans nor walnuts, I substituted with pistachio)
1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix
1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup Barcardi dark rum (substituted by Myers Dark Rum)

Glaze:
1 stick butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Barcardi dark rum (substituted by Myers Dark Rum)

Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts on bottom of pan. Combine all cake ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on high with electric mixer. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pan. Invert on serving plate. Prick top with fork. Drizzle glaze over top of cake. Use brush or spoon to put extra dripping back on cake.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Note: The rum will cause steam. Be careful not to burn yourself.

No comments: