Sunday, September 23, 2007

TRUE STORY - STOP.................Don't Drink It! (LOL)

This is a true story! I could not stop laughing that day.
I don't know who should be blamed on that case.

It was a bit gloomy late afternoon in Jogjakarta.
I went out with two other friends visiting a gudeg (traditional jogjanese food) stall.

I ordered a glass of hot tea. My other friend ordered his favorite softdrink, while the other one ordered Cendol (kind of pearl in bubble tea, but instead made of tapioca flour it is made of rice flour combined with dissolved palm sugar in coconut milk). While for the dishes it is already standard. Gudeg is consisted of rice, chicken cooked in thick coconut milk, eggs and young jackfruit which cooked for hours.

Having a chit-chat while waiting for our order, a waiter came bringing my hot tea and my other friend's softdrink. The waiter also brought 3 'glass' of water (I put 'glass' in bracket, as it was not looked like glass but it was not looked like bowl either).

In Indonesia, it is very common for people eating using their fingers instead of using spoon and fork. But using left hand for eating is a big NO! Left hand is preserved for 'dirty assignment' (GRIN). Restaurant that specialized in selling Indonesian food usually gave water that put in a slightly large bowl for their guests to wash their hands before start eating (See next picture). I knew the water served by the waiter at the Gudeg Stall was for that purpose too.

Somehow, I guess it was because the form of the water container which was not usual that made my friend thought it was an extra water to drink). He hold and took a close look to the glass and slurrrrrp..... drank the water. I was in the middle of sipping my hot tea, but my eyes immediately opened very wide try to stop him from drinking it. My other friend only starred at him without saying a thing.

I was about to squirt the hot tea, then we laughed out loud! My friend who drank the water for washing hand starred at us without knowing for what reason I and the other friend laughed wildly.

Then, we explained to him.............., and continued our laughs.

"I don't know if you are going to drink that water, I thought you are just looking at the container!" I said.

"Yes......, I thought so too!" my other friend said.

We were laughing on and on, my poor friend could say nothing but embraced.

So..........., next time please be careful!

No comments: